Hickey Hired as New GM

Posted by Mike Florio – profootballtalk.com

Dennis Hickey says “yes” to the Dolphins

Hickey_Dennis

The Dolphins finally have a General Manager.  And the team can confidently say he wasn’t their second choice.  He was their third.  And perhaps lower.  Regardless, Buccaneers director of player personnel Dennis Hickey has accepted the position, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.An 18-year employee of the Buccaneers, he became the director of player personnel under G.M. Mark Dominik in 2011. Hickey wasn’t considered for the team’s recently-filled G.M. job.  Hickey gets a clean slate with the Dolphins, and his job will entail more than merely finding players via the draft and free agency.  He’ll now have to navigate a potential mine field in Miami, tiptoeing around established relationships, finding a way to coexist with assistant G.M. Brian Gaine (who was a finalist for the job) and trying to enhance the reputation and perception of the football operation after a string of embarrassments.  Like many General Managers, Hickey may want to hire his own coach, eventually.  The better approach for owner Stephen Ross would be to tell Hickey, coach Joe Philbin, and executive V.P. of football administration Dawn Aponte that they’re all in this equally — and that if the team continues to struggle, everyone is getting fired the next time.

MORE FINS NEWS:

Dolphins GM Search Over Controversy Still Continues

This GM hiring raised more questions than hope

Hits and misses: A look at key decisions made by Dennis Hickey as Bucs’ director of player personnel (2011-13)

Thanks, but no thanks: A look at the candidates who didn’t want the Miami Dolphins’ GM job

Who is this guy? A brief bio of new Miami Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey

615 Responses to Hickey Hired as New GM

• The Flying Pig says:
  • Mike E. says:

Piggy,
    Seastrunk looks good. I love his name too. Like Randy said, reminds me of Otis Sistrunk

• The Flying Pig says:

He is the closest thing to McCoy and Jamaal Charles in the draft
      He may be better than those 2 in the pros
      His balance an lateral movement are amazing

• Jahndoh says:

Mike E,
    Here’s another quote. You may as well give the article some time though, it’s an interesting read no matter what your opinion is of the QB play.

“Using data from the 2012 season as well as the 2013 season, we find that among the 31 passers that have attempted at least 50 deep passes during those years, Tannehill’s accuracy percentage (40.0 percent) ranks 17th in a tie with Robert Griffin III.”

• son of a son of a shula says:

Oh piggy dream big my friend. I have a hard time seeing them take a back early but I would love to have a game changer type player. I still think Miller’s best days are ahead of him and I like Gillislee too.
    How about some Storm Johnson as our big bruiser back? This mofo, he squirts out of trouble but when the hit needs to be made he brings the wood.
    The late stiff arm at 2.00 mark, mmmmmm

• Jahndoh says:

I have to admit, I haven’t given Seastrunk a fair shot. His name makes him sound slow. I’ve seen him play, so I know he’s the kind of RB that can take over a game…I need to watch him some more.

• son of a son of a shula says:

He is that kind of back but would we really take a back early again. I’d like it but I doubt it happens.

• Jahndoh says:

Agreed. Hickey’s a blank slate for me. I have no idea what his tendencies are (some very vague clues are out there) or what his philosophies are. But I know he has a strong relationship with Joe, and I choose to keep on believing in Joe, so sorry to the Bat’s out there…I’m feeling optimistic! :-P

• son of a son of a shula says:

I believe in Joe too. I just do. Dolphin lifer diehard, call me whatever, I choose to believe.

• Mike E. says:

Son,
    I’m not sure about Miller as a feature back, it’s hard to see from the little we got if he can be a 20 carry guy. Can’t count on DT, and Gillislee is unknown as a Dolphins RB.

• son of a son of a shula says:

With a better overall attack (scheme) better blocking and better running plays (please Lazor) Miller has the moves. Along with Gillislee being such an unknown is part of why I wonder if we’d look at another back early. DT I just don’t know, I still like his game and maybe he’ll still be here, hard to say.

• Brian in NY says:

It’s hard to say that Miller can’t be a game changer for us when he averaged only 11 carries per game this season. Yes, he does need work on his blocking, but he is a back with good size , so I think with some good coaching and some hard work put in during the offseason he can improve upon that .

• Mike E. says:

Son,
    Probably right. We need a few big boys, OL, and DL too. If we could sneak him in there, I’d love that Chris Borland kid. I love players that just love to play the game.

• son of a son of a shula says:

We just need a group that comes in to go to work. No f’n jokesters, no scrip club meetings, no bullshit. Get your shit wired tight and run this fancy scheme Lazor is going to put in place.

• son of a son of a shula says:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Tannehill whatsoever but if Tajh Boyd were sitting there at 50 when we pick I’d be hard pressed not to take him. Kid’s got game.

• Brian in NY says:

Too many other needs Son. Last time we took a flyer on a QB in the 2nd round we didn’t really need , it didn’t work out so well !

• son of a son of a shula says:

Very true, I tend to get enamored with QB’s from time to time. I just like his presence how he plays, good arm, great runner.
        But you are correct.

• The Flying Pig says:

Boyd at 50
    Not sure about that
    he has talent
    but I think he is a 4th round talent or less

• Al in MIA says:

Son,
    I forget but arent you the QB guru around here or is that Brian? lol. Who’s the one that endorsed Kirk Cousins a couple drafts ago?

• Tim Knight says:

Wow!!!! That’s all I have to say about Billy Joel. There is a reason certain musicians are icons. I thought his vocals would be sub par at 65 years old. Nope! He and his band sounded like the records. He’s a fantastic piano player. He was so good I can’t even think about sleeping. I’m so hopped up. It looks like all of you are out for the night. If you get a chance to see him do it. He’s that good.
    I saw Elton John like 10 years ago and he played with the same basic band setup that Joel did tonight and he blew me away the same way. There is a reason those guys are who they are. The talent level is so high it’s mesmerizing. Paul McCartney is another one I have to check off my bucket list. He’s 70 and playing Beatles songs with his band and it sounds like the 60’s records. Amazing!
    Treat yourselves if you can. Tonight was an expensive night. But anything good or great in moderation is worth it. ;)

• professorlou says:

I’ve been lucky enough to see Elton several times, one of which was the night before his One Night Only Concert. He came in town with his band and did the whole show at our arena before he went to The Garden to record it. We were actually the first one’s to see that show which was kind of neat.
      Another time was when he came to town and did his Medusa Tour show with just himself and his piano and it was absolutely awesome. What was amazing was that even though his band wasn’t there he was able to make so much music with just his piano you were in awe. Some people were complaining because they thought his band wasn’t there but to not have an appreciation for what he was doing on stage was just moronic.
      Anyway, though I’d share that with you and his newest ablum is one of the best he’s ever done so I would go see him again in a heartbeat.

• Tim Knight says:

Something I looked at earlier but didn’t post. We have 19 UFAs that I counted. I expect about a 12-15 player roster turnover this year.
    If some of you are right about players not playing 100% the last 2 games, that’s on them, not the coaches. Know what’s in front of you. If that was the case, I want them all gone.
    We’ll see what the Hickey/Philbin dynamic is.

• Tim Knight says:

Power structure, Oy!
    1. Hickey – is in control of player acquisition
    2. Philbin – picks his final 53 for the games
    3. Aponte – balance the budget and well being of the team
    That’s how I see it anyway.

• TwiceTheThe says:

son of a son of a shula
    on January 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm said:
    *———————————————
    TwiceTheThe approves this message

• TwiceTheThe says:

Tim – glad you had a great time at the Joel concert. Even if one didn’t care for his music (a bit hit and miss for me, but definitely more hit than miss) one would have to admit the man has crazy talent and puts on a damn good show (saw him a number of years back). Worth the dough I’m sure!

• professorlou says:

Mike E. on January 27, 2014 at 10:07 pm said:

Son,
    *********
    Check out Carl Bradfore from ASU. He’s an OLB where Borland is ILB but he’s an animal.

• Dbolt says:

So Philbin very quietly makes a great hire to his coaching staff that will go relatively unnoticed:
    “Marvez also reports that John Benton, the Texans’ offensive line coach from 2006-2013, has taken a job as the Dolphins’ assistant offensive line coach”

• The Flying Pig says:

Tim Knight on January 28, 2014 at 1:23 am said:
    Power structure, Oy!
    1. Hickey – is in control of player acquisition
    2. Philbin – picks his final 53 for the games
    3. Aponte – balance the budget and well being of the team
    That’s how I see it anyway.
    *****************************

Squeal that is so complicated Squeal the three headed monster will never work squeal how will that ever work humans can’t work together as a team squeal what has ross done squeal is this an alliance squeal who will they kick off the island
    :D
    BTW why do you thionk Philbin gets the final say on the 53
    I am under the impression Hickey does

• The Flying Pig says:

The Benton hire is a great hire
    those Texans OL’s have been some of the best int he league
    and they are a zone blocking team
    I can;t imagine a better hire and fit for our offiense
    *********
    but the more important question is:
    Did Philbin ever have coffee with Benton?
    Did he pass Benton on the street and wave?
    Have they ever carpooled together?
    if the answer is YES all I have to say is SQUEAL SQUEAL SQUEAL
    Another oinking buddy is hired by Philbin!
    Forget about football achievements, the fact is, THEY ARE FRIENDS

****
    Now shut up you lollipop eating zombies and dip your head in poo like the rest of us
    so is a bad hire

• The Flying Pig says:

Jahndoh on January 27, 2014 at 9:54 pm said:
    *****************

Watch hiim! and be Oinked Jahn, be Oinked…

• The Flying Pig says:

Okay
    monring fly by over
    busy day today

• Wyoming85 says:

Piggy
    did I miss a coach hiring or am I just slow?
    Who is Benton?

• Wyoming85 says:

Another day of freezing rain and bridges being closed!
    I’ve had more time off in 2 weeks than my vacation!!! :-)

• TryPod says:

Tim, Lou, whomever else,
    Elton John is probably my favorite solo artist of all time. I think the stuff he and taupin did in the 70’s while under his original contract is some of the best stuff ever written. he still had has voice and he still had range. there were somewhere around 10 albums produced and released during that time period, and every one of them has at least one #1 hit on it. amazing string and incredible talent. I have never been to see him live, and at this point I am afraid he is a shell of himself; I’m afraid I would leave the show disappointed. not a big Joel fan, but I certainly respect his talent.

• Wyoming85 says:

Dbolt
    that is great!!
    I like their running game!
    Pass Pro wasn’t very good at times.

• TryPod says:

on a somewhat related note, RIP Pete Seeger.

• Mike E. says:

I got a little upset this morning, I heard on the news that Pete Seeger passed away, I thought they said Bob Seger. Nothing against Pete, but Bob is just a lot younger.
    RIP Pete Seeger

• SixThree0ne says:

Dbolt,

Call me crazy but I’d think that Turner should Benton’s asst. Not the other way around. Maybe this is Philbin’s way of keeping his buddy around longer.

• Marinofan13 says:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, 631. This is very strange.

• Dbolt says:

Depends on how it is setup. The OL coach looks at the unit as a whole and the assistant tends to work more individually on the fundamentals with the players and the nuances…..if that made any sense :)

• The Flying Pig says:

I don;t think there was an assistant last year
      So its one more person to help

• TryPod says:

victim of the page turn:
     Tim, Lou, whomever else,Elton John is probably my favorite solo artist of all time. I think the stuff he and taupin did in the 70′s while under his original contract is some of the best stuff ever written. he still had has voice and he still had range. there were somewhere around 10 albums produced and released during that time period, and every one of them has at least one #1 hit on it. amazing string and incredible talent. I have never been to see him live, and at this point I am afraid he is a shell of himself; I’m afraid I would leave the show disappointed. not a big Joel fan, but I certainly respect his talent.

• Marinofan13 says:

cover32 Dolphins ‏@cover32_MIA 27m
    Do not be shocked if recently hired John Benton replaces OL coach Jim Turner after the Ted Wells report comes out #Dolphins

• Dbolt says:

Have no clue who cover 32 Dolphins, but this could be true. Once again though from my own personal experiences the assistant coaches are typically the guys who drive home the technique details and do most of the on-field teaching while the head guy handles the classroom instruction period.

• The Flying Pig says:

I can see that
      would be nice to finally get that wells report and move on

• The Flying Pig says:

Here is some stuff about Marino joining the Dolphins in some capacity int he future

• Marinofan13 says:

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 37s
    Tom Gamble’s father, former Philly GM Harry Gamble, died this morning. Father’s illness was apparently big reason Tom was in Philly.

• marlins fan says:

Elton John was the best, growing up, my friend and I use to drive down Lauderdale strip in his starsky and hutch looking grand torino, hanging out the window hooting at chicks and listening to funeral for a friend, we would replay it over and over.
    you’re a bluebird on a telegraph line I hope you’re happy nowwww da-da-da-daaaaa

• Mike E. says:

I saw Elton John in the Sheep Meadow at Central Park, if you can call it “seeing him”. I was about half a mile away, but I heard him pretty well. I also saw Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band later that night at MSG. Crazy day!

• Ken says:

What’s up FMers? Cold as a snowman’s ass this morning. Not that I would know what that’s like.

• Marinofan13 says:

IMO, the John Benton hire is OUTSTANDING. He and Kubiak have been working together since 2006… and Kubiak learned the ZBS under the “godfather of the ZBS”: Alex Gibbs.
    This is certainly an indication that we’ll be running the ZBS this year instead of going to a variation or total change of as much. I VERY much believe that Philbin/Lazor/Benton can be a WINNER.
    Now lets see if Hickey can deliver the goods.

• Marinofan13 says:

And the timing of this hire is no coincidence as Kubiak was hired as the Ravens’ OC just yesterday. We didn’t want Kubiak to take Benton with him to Baltimore, clearly.

• admin says:

NEW BLOG UP

• Old Dolfan says:

60 degrees on the drive into work in Tampa Bay. –Should top out in the mid-70’s. Meanwhile the geniuses who run the NFL decided to put the Super Bowl in Ice-and-Snow-friendly Meadowlands, the home of high taxes and low temperatures. We’ll be in the 70’s this weekend at empty Raymond James Stadium while SB XLVIII attendees will be freezing their balls off with temps falling into the 20’s.
    ————
    Long range forecast calling for clearing and temps in the 30’s for kickoff. –NFL got LUCKY on this one!! — A Super Bowl played in a blinding snowstorm or a “Wintry Mix” would be a fiasco of the highest order!! –Passing would be near impossible and the game would revert to a 1940’s scenario of running the ball and hoping to recover a fumble to win a 7-3 game.
    ———-
    Meanwhile hotels in south Florida are filled for the weekend. IF NFL/Steve Ross thinks taxpayers are going to pay one cent to refurbish a PRIVATELY OWNED STADIUM they are sadly mistaken. Ross’s underling, Mike Dee, insulted this state’s Republican hierarchy and absolutely KILLED any chance at the liegislature approving a partial public funding of Sun-Baked Stadium.!! – – Just another example proving that Steve Ross and the Dolphins’ franchise ARE NOT A GOOD MIX. –STADIUM will ONLY get much-needed dome with air conditioning ONLY IF Dolphins’ ownership pays for it. –Failing that, be sure to bring lots of sun-screen to all home games as long as Ross owns the team.

• Jahndoh says:

But they’ve paid MANY red cents. It’s ridiculous to be saying that. That stadium and nearly every other football stadium in the nation has had taxpayer dollars contributed to it. Not hosting a superbowl is not good, no matter how you spin it, and the outdoor stadium in the tropics will always be outdoors. Sorry, I know your issues with the heat and all, but it is what it is. An outdoor stadium in the tropics.
      It’s amazing to me that you think the owner should pay for an AC dome for your comfort while you rail against his effort to get some public funding to put some shade over a good portion of the stadium.

I love ya though OD, but you’re talking from both sides of your mouth here gotta pick something. The dome, or the tax payer support. Something has to give.

• SteveCCNV says:

There’s a misconception about BPA at all cost that I’ve been reading on here for yrs, and there really is no such thing. No team has ever put together a draft board and just drafted players from it regardless of position.

Editor Biography

Chiefen Walker was conceived and born from two joyous primates at the end of the lovefest known as the ‘60s. Forced to endure the television shows of the ‘70s, and inspired by Captain Kirk, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Batman...

Click here to read more...

Tweet Blender